Monday, April 4, 2011

Closest to Heaven that I'd Ever Be

Just saw a friend post a video for his Day 1 pick of the 30 Day Song Challenge.  I found the full 30 Day list via search here.

I was just thinking about writing about music and how diverse my tastes have become, so this is perfect.

Looking at the list, it's actually going to take a lot of thinking, and may be a little harder than I first thought.  Regardless, what a fun challenge, and hopefully I get to share some great music that you might check out.

So Day 1: Your Favorite Song.

Now, I don't listen to this song as much as I used to, but whenever it comes on the radio or pandora  I pause, take a breath and smile.

Iris - Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up the Girl (written for the City of Angels Soundtrack), 1998

This was a confusing time for me musically.  I had grown up with country and Disney musicals.  But now, I was listening to Top 40 radio on the bus.  I knew the music of my childhood wasn't going to cut it, but the new music wasn't that thrilling either.

But then came Iris, which was so dynamic and different from late 90's pop; I loved it instantly.  Legend has it, Lead singer John Rzeznik was suffering from writers block when he was asked to write a song for City of Angels.  He saw the movie and wrote Iris immediately after.  It was their breakthrough single to mainstream radio, and set records for the time of being number one for 18 weeks.

So I looked into the band and I discovered that a couple of the songs I liked from the radio were from the Goo Goo Dolls.  And, as with all things I love, my interest certainly didn't stop at Iris.

Oddly enough, years after I fell in love with Iris and the Goo Goo Dolls, I saw City of Angels.  I dislike Nicholas Cage and didn't enjoy his performance.  The movie was good but I think I only watched it that one time.

I now own all of their CD's except for the first release, self-titled.  The Goo Goo Dolls are THE band that shaped my teenage years.  Listening to their music is coming home.

Day 2: Your Least Favorite Song ... what will I pick??

No comments: