Friday, May 12, 2006

Brett Favre's Farewell Tour

When Brett Favre finally made his decision I was relieved. Not because he would come back and play for the Packers, I was preparing myself for his departure. I was just glad to have the speculation and bad-mouthing of Brett Favre over. I completely agree he needed to make a decision. The comment he made “there’s still about 120 days left until the season opener” made me cringe. Colin Cowherd from ESPN Radio said Brett was like a woman. “Does this dress make my butt look big? Do I look fat in this? This color or stripes?” – Just pick a damn dress already!

In general everyone took it too far. Brett Favre holding the team hostage? Whatever. I think Ted Thompson has the stones to do everything in his power to make Favre want to leave without telling him to. And in the beginning we thought that’s what he was doing letting Ryan Longwell, Mike Flanagan and crew go.

No they wouldn’t have cut Favre or trade him. It needed to be Favre's decision to avoid riots.

Comparing Favre to Walker. That argument had no credibility. Walker threatened holdout. Walker wouldn’t play because he felt that after one successful year he was worth more money. Walker aired his internal grievances with the media.

Favre was pondering a decision. He wanted to make the best decision for his family, for mind and body and finally, yes … even for the Packers. At this point in his career … does the money make a difference? Not really. He can earn whatever he’s due through the contract through endorsements, book deals, or getting in the business (sports caster, anchor, coach, etc.). He never once made a negative comment against the organization.

So why did they use their first round pick on QB-Aaron Rodgers last year if Favre’s coming back? Just what everyone has been saying it was used for: to draft a future quarterback. No one thought Matt Hasselbeck was anything special. Aaron Brooks, Mark Brunell or any number of the other quarterbacks the Packers have drafted in Favre’s tenure as gunslinger.

I think it’s great that Rodgers is getting another year to sit and learn. As Eli has found out …not all first-round QB’s can win like Payton Manning. An article said Rodgers is losing millions by sitting again this year. Maybe. But what if he takes the experience and knowledge he picks up from two years of Brett Favre to go on and have a successful 15-year career? Will he then look back and regret these two years?

I was pretty nonchalant with the announcement. I opened the last bottle of Californian wine to celebrate, but really I wasn’t as excited as I thought I was going to be.

Until I saw footage from the first minicamp. It brought back that old fire in me to see Favre throwing bullets to the rookies and old favorites. I couldn’t wait for kick off (even without Ryan) when I saw the interaction between Rodgers and Favre. Rodgers grabbed Favre’s helmet and pulled it off by the facemask. Then Favre rolled up his sleeves and showed anyone who was interested his guns. The playful banter between the two reminded me of the three amigos … when we all were carefree and not tainted by the greed and stupidity that comes with success.

Everyone debates what’s the best way for any player to exit: on top, one last stab at glory or injury. I don’t have an answer for that. When I think Steve Young I think of the success, but also the career ending hit that left him motionless on the field for four minutes. When I think of Dan Marino I think of all those average years of the Dolphins, but also the exceptional QB. I don’t remember the score of the last game he played in or their record.

My nugget of advice to the three-time MVP: Make your decision now. Is this your last year? Want to go for another? Tell us. Get the monkey off your back before it starts throwing banana peels. The team, fans, country … and maybe even you … need a year to say goodbye.

No comments: