Monday, June 15, 2009

Five reasons why the dishes don't get done

I don't read as many books since my discovery of blogs and RSS feeds. I think college and 100+ pages due per class, per day destroyed the reading for enjoyment part of my brain too.  But it's gone a step (or two, or a leap) beyond that ... I have to pay attention to my Internet time otherwise I could spend endless hours engrossed in all the wonders it holds.

I love finding little gems or discovering the ultra-trendy site that everyone else in various trendy circles knows about.  To make this list, I narrowed it to blogs I read faithfully and those that update frequently (this knocked off Grey Matter--from the Writers of Grey's Anatomy, since they don't post when the show is in hiatus).

I am also only including the sites I've been reading for at least six months (which eliminated my new find from Dooce's Twitter feed: Favrd--and no, it's not about THAT quarterback.

So with no further ado, here is a brief list of my favorites. 

Dooce.com -- a "Mommy" blog that's so much more.  This blog chronicles the life of Heather B. Armstrong, wife and mother of two (as of Saturday).  A former Mormon who got fired from her LA job in web design for writing about work on her blog.  She and her new husband moved back to Utah even though their political views and drinking habits are polar opposites of their former faith.  After having her first child, she committed herself to a mental hospital with a severe case of postpartum depression (as noted on her blog and new book).

I discovered this blog from a copy writing e-newsletter.  It mentioned her blog along with about four or five other "Mommy Blogs."  I don't know why I clicked this link, but what I read had me captivated.

The first post I read was about Halloween 2008 (I'd post a link, but there's a lot of lag on her web site right now b/c she just posted the announcement for their new daughter), I loved it instantly and went back to the beginning of the site, via archives and read from there.  Six months later, I finally am up to date and on to reading her husband's site.  He is more politically and geek oriented (said with love of course) and it's just as enjoyable to read Jon's point of view as things unfold in the Armstrong household.

PostSecret -- Published Sunday mornings, this site is a community art/social project where people send in post cards with their secrets.  These post cards are elaborately designed homemade masterpieces, photographs or the typical tourist post card.

This site is interesting on many levels.  Sometimes its the beauty of the cards and the amazing talent of their artists.  Sometimes its the outrageous secrets--confessions of silly, fun or naughty little things people do.  Like the person who puts your insurance claim at the bottom of the pile when he/she can't read your writing.  THAT changed how much I pay attention to my penmanship.

The most striking aspect of this site is the heart-wrenching or devastating statements of abuse, rape, depression, addiction, and every so often, love.  I've cried more than once reading these short, but meaningful secrets.

I found this site by a search after watching an episode of CSI:NY.  It wasn't the same site featured on the show, but it had the same concept of sending secrets on homemade cards for the world to see but no one to know.

A site I found from PostSecret, Found is somewhat similar as it gives you a glimpse of a fraction of a stranger's life.  This site displays found items people send in.  It's amazing the things people find and where they find them: on the street, sidewalk, parking lot, benches, attics, books, elevators and on and on and on.

The found items are typically old and interesting photographs or odd notes, which are a hoot.

TXTS FRM LST NGHT -- I came across this site from Mark Hoppus' blog (which is another blog and/or Twitter feed you should hook into).  The name is pretty self explanatory.  Amusing texts from every day life that people then send to the site to be published.  Not surprisingly, many of these texts are from intoxicated people.  But if we can't be amused from their stupidity, what's the point??

Finally, I also frequently check $5 Dinners.  This Mommy blogger writes about her tips and strategies to feed her family on five dollars a meal. I'm looking for ideas and tips moreso than actually reading this blog like I read Dooce. The creater of $5 Dinners outlines menu plans, has great, inexpensive and healthy recipe ideas and coupons.  I don't often get to the coupons in time, but she has great variety in her recipes and I've used around five of her recipes and adapted many others.

I discovered this site from Blogs of Note, a list of interesting sites updated monthly from the staff of Blogger.


So those are my favs.  Add movies and tv shows, music, the Dan Patrick Show and the occasional game you can understand why I have to be careful about my Internet time at home.  But hot damn, with high speed there are so many possibilites!

What are your favorite sites/blogs?  I'm always looking for a new addiction...err...something to read.

1 comment:

on changing my life said...

I've never "surfed" for blogs, now you have me very intrigued! Thanks for sharing the links!