Sunday, January 10, 2010

On resolving to not have resolutions

We've launched into a new decade.  (Hooray! May it be a hellvua lot better than the last!) Of course with each new year comes the time honored tradition to mumble the words of old ayng zyne ... and resolve to be better than the year before.

I've always sucked at keeping my resolutions, along with every other person who's spending money on a gym membership they stop using in February (even though the calories from Super Bowl Sunday would really benefit a work out).  My resolutions were never unique, lose weight, be more outgoing, spend more time with friends, etc. etc.

Early in my 20's I realized I couldn't remember what I had resolved to do (or stop doing) by the time Saint Patrick's Day rolled around.  So, I stopped making resolutions.  Why delude myself into changing?

In 2008, I wanted to make a change.  Life is too short to settle, and I was sick of not feeling good about myself.  So, I had one thing I want to make progress in.  I thought long and hard about ways I could make it happen.  I made efforts each day.  And, I really, actually was able to change my habits and attitude.

Last year I did the same thing.  I resolved to not make a resolution, but instead, go green.  I did a fair amount of early research.  I added a couple of green blogs into my RSS feeds and found a range of changes I could make.  From the very easy, to the habit forming ... and though I could do more and I'm not at the level of Al Gore, I'm happy with the change I've made in my lifestyle.

Talking to a friend this year, the inevitable question came up.  My answer was I don't make resolutions, but I have a goal in mind.  And as soon as it left my mouth, I realized I was making a resolution.  Damn!!!

So, I guess I failed that resolution in 2003---to not make resolutions---but I've succeeded following through in the life-changes I've set my eye on.

And here's how I've done it:

1. Do your research.  What's involved in your change? What do you need to accomplish it?
2. Map it out.  What changes can you make right away?  What are actions that will take longer to accomplish?  How can you make it into a habit?
3. What does success look like?  Recognize when you're making progress, then go back to your map in #2 and work towards the next level of progress.

You're not going to succeed if you're not truly interested in making a change.  Maybe some people make resolutions purely to be a part of the tradition--and the tradition of not keeping them.  And that's okay too.

No comments: