Thursday, May 5, 2011

All I see ahead of me are glistening lights

Day 18: The Song I Wished I Would Hear on the Radio

Talk about long titles.  No long title for the song I wish would be on the radio though.  I first heard this song at a local concert.  It was good, but in that moment, it didn't strike me as special (maybe it was the March blizzard outside that dampened the mood?).  But, the thing about good musicians who choose to play smaller venues, they love to share their music ... even for free.  So I signed up for a mailing list and got a half a dozen of Joey Ryan's songs.  This one, is my favorite:

Broken Headlights feat. Sara Bareilles - Kentor Canyon - Joey Ryan, 2010



The more I listened to it, the more I loved it.  This is quite normal for me ... does that happen to anyone else?  Sometimes I need some time to fully appreciate music.  Other songs I know instantly if I love or hate it.

I love songs that have really smart lyrics. I'm talking beyond the simple rhyming every other line.  Ryan crafts a beautiful picture with his intricate styling of words, and then peppers them out in such a way that to anyone else it might seem like a tongue twister.

You have to check out Joey Ryan--he's fantastic (and tall too!)

No comments: