Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Finding balance: I didn't get that handbook

When I grow up, I want to be a person who is motivated to work full-time, cook healthy meals from scratch, volunteer, have an impeccably clean house,  have a social life and take some me time now and then.  I'm currently not any of those things.

I tell myself, I just need a better way to organize myself or find a better routine and things will fall into place.  That hasn't happened yet.  Something in my wants and needs list always suffers, and my best intentions never quite pan out.
No matter how many times I try to teach Hercules how to 
pick up around the house, rake leaves or use the 
snowblower he never volunteers to help.
There are some things (like housekeeping) that could be remedied with better habits ... or maybe I'm just lazy.  But other areas, I'm just simply at my capacity.  And here's my cry for help.  No matter how many times I tell people either politely or bluntly that I am at my limit ... I can't go to that meeting or event or I can't lend a hand at that volunteer project, they keep interjecting me in.

Tonight I brought home some extra things to do, but didn't get to them because I'm nursing a cold, feel just mentally and physically exhausted and inadvertently took a nap.  I started feeling anxiety because I was mentally mapping out how I could fit it in a lunch hour already filled with errands, exercising and eating.

I have been saying no.  But I still feel guilt when I have to. I guess that's the next life skill I have to work at.

How do you "Do it all"?  Any routines or lifestyle organizing secrets I didn't get the handbook for?  And how do you balance saying no?

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.