Sunday, September 9, 2007

Enough Drama, Get to the Football

Tiki Barber, former New York Giants running back, now a commentator for NBC Sports, made comments about his former team and quarterback in August. The long and short of it, he bashed QB-Eli Manning and said he wasn't a leader. Eli respectfully defended himself, and the team rallied behind him.

I've always had respect for Tiki Barber, he seems like a good guy off the field. But, I think he's absolutely wrong for calling out his team and Manning so unprofessionally.

Now, don't think I'm saying this because I have warm and fuzzy feelings for Manning or the Giants. I don't.

I agree that Barber needs to comment and offer his opinions about his former team--it's his job. Okay. But what I take offense with is that he wasn't professional with the way he did it. Because Tiki didn't just offer his thoughts. He slammed Manning. It all felt like very personal comments, and not an objective point of view.

And isn't it funny that no one from the Giants has said that what Tiki did was okay, because he was just doing his job. Of course, they don't agree---but they don't hold any ill will against him. I think Barber crossed a line and burned a whole lotta bridges in the process.

The whole Michael Vick drama deluted the pre-season experience for me. After he made his deal, I thought everyone would settle down and move on to football. Unfortunately, Whoopi Goldberg (and since they've started talking about it on ESPN Radio again) others are defending Vick because dog fighting is ingrained in his culture. He was brought up with it so he doesn't know any better. I'm sorry, but those rationalizations are inexcusable. I would tend to agree if it was a child, high school kid or someone who's never left the "old neighborhood."

You can't say a grown man who has millions of dollars, college education, works and lives in the framework of the NFL doesn't know any better than to brutally murder a living creature. He absolutely knew that it was illegal. And entering into a contract where there are certain expectations of your behavior on and off the field, he knew that in the eyes of the NFL it was wrong.

Look at all the men who've raised themselves above that old behavior. There are so many players that do so much good with their money and celebrity.

I've never been a Vick cheerleader, but I've never had any gripes against the guy away from the field. I'm not feeling as forgiving as most. That apology wasn't enough.

"The second half was a mob hit. No one saw it coming." ~ Eric
Caslious, ESPN Radio

Referring to the Colts scoring 41 points in the season opener,
shutting out the Saints in the last half of the game.

No comments: