Sunday, April 27, 2008

Statues crumble for me

I think last week's blue post was primarily weather-driven. Later that day I went outside and did a little work and walked around on the soggy lawn. I felt better in the cool breeze and warm sunlight.

Better days ahead ... this weekend is/was the NFL Draft. We're that much closer to the start of a new season. And a new season means ... anticipation. The first year without Brett Favre. Now, I'm not ready to do my Brett Favre reflections quite yet. The more I contemplate it, the less I'm sure when I'll be ready.

But what I am ready for is to see what Aaron Rodgers can do. I'm excited to see it. I want to move forward. Not that I have any animosity towards Favre, but the off season chatter makes me feel so stagnant. It's not as easy as putting away the helmet and walking off the field into the sunset. It's a life full of speculation and I'm getting sick of it.

Do I wish they would have signed Randy Moss or a multitude of other play makers? Do I wish Brett would have come back for one more year? Yes. In the same vein, am I ready for Brett to retire? ... yes.

Don't get me wrong, if he could give the Packers 10 more years of his "best level" of performance, I'd take it. Without a second thought.

But it had to happen sooner or later. In a fitting sort of way, it ended on an interception, in the NFC Championship. (and it hurts to even type it)

I guess my point is that it happened. And we all better start accepting it and moving on. Stop reading between the lines "some thing's bound to happen." Stop wishing he'll come back. Don't start booing Rodgers after the second interception and don't start chanting "We want Favre."

Because FYI--the magnificent Brett Favre leads the league in all-time interceptions. Remember we lived by Favre, we died by Favre. And when we died, it was often by a massacre.

I've learned to never say never, but I don't think he's coming back. And I'm even more positive that he wouldn't go to another team. I've said it before, it's a win now league. And to do that Favre would have to invest a lot of time and effort to learn new coaching schemes, a new playbook and new personnel. Mentally tired and 50+ learning hours a week don't skip down any beaches hand-in-hand.

So just stop it already.

Okay, okay, rant aside (I guess I needed to get that out). I think his little stint on Letterman was an audition to see if he had a future in broadcast/commentary. Sports jacket over the jeans and nice shirt. In-depth break down of his last game and the Super Bowl Champions.

And now back to the draft. I'm very happy they picked up a quarterback. They need some depth in that position. Last year at one time, didn't the Packers place one of the wide-outs in the QB slot on the depth chart? I was hoping for John David Booty---but I guess the Packers drafted best player at the time ... and I only know JDB b/c he got a fair amount of air time on ESPN Radio.

I don't know much about the other players they selected, but I'm sure I'll learn more this week. A fan calling in to ESPN Radio just said they should have picked up someone in the secondary and an offensive line tackle. Then they said something about the aging team and the QB they drafted was too short at 6'2".

The Packers do need some more help and depth in the secondary. But this is a better acquisition by free agent or trade. I think the secondary is one of the hardest areas for a young player to succeed. Traditionally, the Packers have done much better to bring in veteran.

Offensive tackle: yes there is some age with Clifton and Tauscher, but in that point of the draft most of the OT's (or maybe the OT's that they wanted) were taken. This should be another position they could get on the free agent market. Plus the current duo have been very reliable and don't traditionally miss a lot of games due to injury.

Aging team---hello, where have you been the past two years? The Packers were the youngest team in the league (and that was with Favre skewing their average).

6'2" too short for a QB (somewhere Doug Flutie spit out his Flutie Flakes): I think the roster lists Favre as 6'2". No more to say here.

It's amazing to see how quickly the screen fills when I'm blogging about football.

I've been doing softcore runs in KoL lately. Really going after trophies/tattoos (and being a mall whore, but it's so exillarating to see the meat roll in). I have 23 trophies, 57 tattoos and 4,531,546 meat.

I think I've gotten all the easy trophies. And I'm working on some that will take forever... 420 herb brownies, 80 around the worlds and the last run I've gotten my first tomato daquiri. Yes, around 23 acesnions, who knows how many exploded chef-in-a-boxes and 1 tomato daquiri. I battled each dungeon of doom monster 120 times and made a pretty good chunk of change from all the bang potions I put in my store.

I'm almost out of Ronin, but I wish they would make it easier to do mass-pulls from Hagnks. It's so tedious to go item by item. After Ronin, I typically just take it all out. This of course makes my inventory huge and makes it a longer process to put things in my store. They revamped the combat format with the new bar. So why can Jick & Co. put a little effort into Hagnks? Afterall, the poor guy just got a new facility, he could use a little help inside too.

No comments: