Friday, October 28, 2005

Five kidneys in second grade

My mom came into my room to tell me we were going to Madison. But the next day was my second grade class pictures. I had my outfit picked out and was really looking forward to them. We can go after tomorrow...can't we? This is important.

But, honey ... remember Daddy needs a new kidney? They found one, it's very special to do that. It doesn't come often, so we have to go tonight. If you want to stay, you have to go by grandma and you'll be away from us for two weeks.

I started to cry. But we packed and headed to grandma's. I cried more. I thought I was being left behind. No, they were just driving us to Madison. It was late and we slept.

I don't remember getting there, and I don't know where we stayed. I do remember sitting waiting for them to tell us everything was okay. They eventually did.

I got a diary from the gift shop. My very first. I don't think mom wanted to buy it ... it probably was expensive. but she got it for me anyway. I had a cough, but didn't want to take the icky medicine, but they made me ... because otherwise they would force me to wear a mask. "You don't want to get your dad, sick right?" -- Is that really the way to tell a kid to take their medicine? --

He did get sick. We were back home. Mom told me Dad got sick again. His kidney wasn't working. They got another one but that didn't work much either. He couldn't come home until they found another one. I hope they do. I hope it works.

We're back in Madison. At one end, the room with windows and the helicopter pad has Ninetendo. I met Holly. She's my friend. We played Super Mario brothers and got to the small castle. Dad got another kidney. This one works.

Mom tells me Holly's going home, her family is all better. I run to the window and see them leaving ... it probably wasn't them.

I remember mom crying. Only that worried me. I can still smell the hospital food and balloons.

It was 15 years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's definately interesting how incidents in our lives can have huge impacts on us, some that stay with us forever. But no matter how those incidents impacted our lives, the only thing we can do is learn from it. This moment in your life has forever changed the course of your life ... but I am thankful. It's helped define who you are and I love you for you.