Tuesday, April 17, 2007

NYC Trip: Yummy food, Lots of drinking

Today we walked down to Central Park, and it started to sprinkle. So we hopped in a carriage and took a 30 minute ride through the park. Below Left: A view of the skyline from inside Central Park.

We walked to Radio City Music Hall, but were about 45 minutes to an hour early. So we went into a couple of the stores near by, then to eat. We got turned around in the basement of Rockefeller Center and were on the wrong block and had to walk around to get back to Radio City. Below Right: The stage at Radio City Music Hall where various award shows have taken place.

The tour was pretty interesting. I enjoyed learning about the architect and why he made the design choices he did. We met a Rockette, went into their dance studio and saw their costumes throughout the year.

Then the group was going to head down to Statue of Liberty. I was tired and Michelle was cold, so we went back to the hotel instead. We warmed up, rested and made phone calls back home.

We wandered out for dinner, just up the street by the Gershwin Theatre, where Wicked is. We ate at Azalea’s, which was so yummy. I introduced Michelle to the wonderful world of Moscatos. The one we had was a Moscato Trentino, a red dessert wine.

We walked to the next Theatre and watched A Chorus Line. This musical was good, but the storyline really didn’t catch me that much. The dancing was pretty awesome too. (Not to mention Larry (aka: Tyler Hanes, pictured below) was HOT!!)

Afterwards we walked to Broadway and decided to go to Caroline’s to see a show. We got $30 off our cover charge (how, I’m not quite sure, prolly cuz it was rainy and icky and they wanted to get people in). We had our two drinks. I had a Razztini and a Corona w/lime. I was lementing that I probably was spending twice as much for drinks as everyone else and wishing I’d just order two cheap beers. But when we got the bill, the rum and coke people were charged separately for their mixer and booze. So, I spent ONE DOLLAR more than them. And I was satisfied.

The host was Brian Kennedy from SNL, and he did an amazing job. I could have listened to just him. We lost count of how many comedians actually performed. I’d guess at least 15-20. Five were pretty bad, and I’d say about five were fair to average. The rest were really good and excellent.

My favorite joke was “My daddy is a pilot, but that doesn’t make me think I can fly airplanes. Just because your daddy was president didn’t mean you make a good one.” Or something to that effect. So funny! I got yelled at for laughing at it though, I think my table might have been leaning to the republican side. I wish I remembered who said it, so I could properly attribute it. But whoever did, rocked.

I think we got back to the hotel around one or two. So we had to scurry on to bed since Regis & Kelly was tomorrow!

No comments: