Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Cell Phones Don't Swim



I always "love" those days when I wake up 10 minutes before I'm supposed to leave for work. Today was one of those days. I ironed a skirt (damn wrinkly skirts), started the coffee and got dressed. Then I grabbed my purse, threw my cell phone in it and grabbed my bag.I made a stop in the bathroom to jam some hair pins in (so I could fix it later after at the office) and put my contacts in. I set my purse (okay, maybe it was more towards a "throw" than a "set") on the counter, it tipped, and my cell phone went for a swim. I had water in the sink, soaking some things.

Now kids, no matter how much your cell phone begs and pleads, even if it's 88 degrees and humid. Your cell phone, should not go swimming. It gets water in it's ear and gets an ear infection, gets cold and quite frankly, sinks faster than Kerry when she tries to float. (sorry babe, it was an amazing reference that just came to me).

So nonetheless, I played lifeguard and brought my little buddy back up to the surface. I took out its battery and wrapped it in a towel and stuffed it in my bag. I proceeded to then put in my contacts, grab coffee, call work to tell them I'd be 10 minutes late and zipped out the door. Once I got to work, I fixed my hair and did my make up and addressed my poor wet phone. It wouldn't turn on. 15 minutes later, it turns on but the screen keeps going black. I took about 5 minutes to pull my numbers off so when the phone eventually flat-lined I would have them.

I shared my miseries with a co-worker (her husband dropped his phone in a pool) and we looked at my poor little kyocera. The screen got better, but when Jeanne called my number, she couldn't hear me.I hoped online, checked out alltel.com, visited Radio Shack and finally hit PC Doctors. So right now I'm test driving a Motorola Razor. The only other one that somewhat tripped my trigger was an LG with a MP3 option. But I think I'm satisfied.

Again, Cell phones shouldn't go swimming. No swimming for cell phones. Bad idea.

Pictures (top to bottom): My old kyocera. *sniff, sniff*
My new Razr. She's pretty cool, but still gonna miss my old buddy Kyocera.

No comments: