Sunday, June 15, 2008

Memory Lane's Soundtrack

I flipped on the television in passing on Friday evening. It’s a terrible habit. Either I discover I’ve just missed something awesome or a program catches my eye and I’m delayed from my original destination.

Anyways, passing by, I flipped on the television and there was Aaron Rodgers. If you haven’t heard, he’s the Packers’ quarterback. That makes you pause a moment, doesn’t it? There he was in the red jersey, taking snaps, falling back and throwing perfect passes to Donald Driver.

He said THE FIRST mini-camp was going well. He was getting used to the habits and instincts of the O-Line. They were learning his snap count and cadence and now it’s just that journey to build chemistry.

Aaron Rodgers, quarterback of the Green Bay Packers.

Yeah.

I really wish he would cut his hair though. It didn’t work on TJ, and baby, it’s not quite hot on you either.

This morning I went into my music library to find some “new” songs to add to my mp3 player. There were only three or four on my computer that caught my ear, so I pulled out CDs I’ve burned from 2001-2004.

Wow was that a trip down memory lane. I haven’t listened to these CDs in at least three years and most of their songs aren’t on my compute—so they haven’t been in my rotation. There were songs on those CDs that I didn’t even remember having. It was quite a rush. As I popped each CD in after the other, that spectrum of emotions painted all those memories and feelings back on that musical canvas in front of me. As I wrote down which songs to transfer to my mp3 player I had troubles with song titles, and one or two I have no clue who the artist might be.

I made my way through the songs, and the effects of time shown in my memory—or lack thereof. I used to know these songs by the first three notes or chords. Now I had to push it to the middle of the song to see if the chorus would jog my memory. I also used to know the order they were in and what songs were on each CD all by knowing the first song. Half the CDs weren’t even labeled and none of them have a written play list.

So here I was, listening to each CD. I rediscovered quite a few old loves that just made me giddy as they played. I’m sure I was quite a sight to see: sitting at my computer, pen in hand, face reflecting deep concentration and then a squeal or laugh as I leaned back and clapped my hands joyful from the notes pouring from my speakers.

It wasn’t a completely joyous reunion. Some of the songs that came on made me cringe and I don’t even remember why I would have liked them. Others have bad connotations. Lost love, faded friendships and other painful times.

And there are the array of songs that are okay but were good only when I was going through a phase. Yes, there were a few country songs in that group *gasp!*

For some reason I haven’t quite figured out yet, music has always been a very emotional connection in my life, deeply rooted.

What I learned today (for those in Dan Nation... Ha, lame joke, but I love it!) is that as much as things change they also stay the same. And it was pretty satisfying rediscovering these old lyrical friends.

No comments: