Monday, January 16, 2017

Dusty Stuff is Not Happiness



Last year I read "Spark Joy," the companion book to "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing" by Marie Kondo. You've probably heard of it.  The KonMari Method includes holding each object you are considering for decluttering, asking if it brings you joy and if it doesn't, thanking it for its service and existence before parting ways.

The reason you might have heard about a decluttering book written by a Japanese woman is because the KonMari Method is pretty extreme. Can you imagine yourself working through your house, picking up things, closing your eyes to really concentrate if you're feeling joy and then setting that uninspiring object free with a word of thanks? It's an unlikely practice, right?

In "Spark Joy" she admits to decluttering possessions from members of her family without their permission.  She also recounts about when she got rid of some household tools because they didn't bring her joy, but having to go buy the exact same tools because she need it a couple of months later.

I didn't read "Life Changing" and didn't realize "Spark Joy" was meant to pair with it.  But after reading it, I found some insight in my tidying habits and picked up tips where I could improve.  As crazy as it sounds, asking if an object brings joy helps when decluttering.  I've been there before, like cleaning out my closet.  There's one shirt that doesn't quite fit right.  I ask myself, "Am I really going to wear this shirt?  I don't like the way I look when I tried it on." The logical and objective part of my brain says, "No."  The weird, emotional part of my brain says, "But I got it on a 75% off sale. What a deal! And I don't really have anything that color and the color looks nice on me."  So, back to the back of the closet it goes.

I think that's why this book gained popularity.  She addresses something most cleaning/organizing books don't.  We accumulate things for a lot of different reasons other than necessity.  Because of that it is sometimes emotionally difficult to clean and part ways with things.

With the KonMari method, when the first answer is no, and I am pretty certain I'm not going to wear it, I know that getting rid of it will give it a home with someone who will use it and enjoy it.  This came in handy, especially when decluttering childhood items.  It helped me par down the things I really wanted to keep and feel good about donating things I used to love but didn't want them to collect dust in my home.

My organizing style defaults to creating piles so clutter tends to get out of hand if I don't work through those piles regularly.  The KonMari method has been generally helpful to keep motivation to organize without getting overwhelmed.  Here's links to the main strategies if you'd like to give it a try: Tips to Declutter from A Blissful Mind and Marie Kondo's Tiding Up.

"Life Changing" is still on my To-Read list, and if you like decluttering and organizing you'd probably like either book. If this thought process of organizing (sparking joy and giving thanks) seems too silly, read "Spark Joy" with the understanding that all the advice might not be right for you, but there will be some helpful tips that you could apply to your life.  Kondo seems to take herself less seriously in "Spark Joy" and it offers practical tips and techniques.  I love her folding style. My dressers fit so much more and everything is neatly presented.

No comments: