Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Take Look, It's In a Book

The past few years I've been choosing what I read based on a challenge list.  I got my original list from Popsugar.com and started customizing my own since.  I started this because I realized I would get overwhelmed when choosing books and only would pick up chick lit or books from series.  These books are good in their own way, but I wasn't really enjoying what I reading, and only chose those titles because I knew I could read them quickly to meet a goal.

These lists have made me go out of my comfort zone and challenge myself.  I've been exploring new genres, reading old classics and don't have to feel guilty about picking up a new release (even though I have hundreds of other books on my To-Read list).

There are some categories I really enjoy and fill quickly, and I've tried to add or expand on those categories. Last year I really liked the career-focused books and memoirs, so I've added more options this year.  I'm always challenged finding a play, poetry and graphic novels but the end experience is always rewarding.  I've thought about removing these, but they really make me reach and explore so they have stayed on my lists.

It's my third year choosing books this way, and I've been learning how to refine my book-selecting skills with research on Goodreads, Pinterest, and Overdrive, a digital library.  Finding the right books isn't a quick process.  I still get discouraged at the beginning of the year when I have 50 empty categories sitting before me.  I've discovered I need to plan books in advance because a certain measure of patience is required when it's a popular book and there are holds.  Plus it always makes me feel better when I know I have something waiting in the wings for me.

If you feel like you're in a reading rut, I highly encourage picking a category to decide what will be your next book.  Here are my lists from 2016 and 2017 if you're looking for some ideas.

What I'm reading right now:  The Sharper the Knife, the Less You'll Cry and Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore.  I have Wonder checked out, but I haven't started it yet.  Happy Reading!

No comments: