Monday, March 15, 2010

Don't judge a book by its first chapter?

All the Flowers are Dying by Lawrence Block surprised me.  I checked out the audio book (most the books I "read" nowadays are audio books) and nearly took it back to the library after a shaky first chapter.  I just had a dud of a book called the White Tiger and I thought my bad luck was continuing.

A man goes to prison to visit a convicted man on death row.  The prisoner claims he is innocent and we learn he's telling the truth.  Because the man who befriends him is the man who framed him.

The book is much too short.  The plot is just exposed and it comes to a conclusion.

But what's there draws you in.  The author shares with you several brutal murders and graphically exposes you to the serial killers mind.  Every chapter you're wondering how his heinous deeds are going to collide with our hero.

The author lent his voice to the recording, which turned me off.  It had little variation from character to character which was distracting.  It took too much concentration to figure out which character was speaking/thinking. 

Plus, it's hard to hear the villain and then the character you're supposed to cheer and relate to share the same voice.

In the end, I'm glad I stuck with this book.  I'd certainly read more from this author.

No comments: