Thursday, March 18, 2010

Rub some dirt in it!

I wasn't going to watch the Olympics this year.  I just didn't care.  I don't watch these sports--ever--why should I now?

Part of why I'm sick of it is there's always so much hype before the games even start.  We're forced to root on the network-deemed key players: Lindsey Von, Bode Miller, Apolo Anton Ono.

And then, there's figure skating.  That bitter taste of the first sport I ever followed.

I defiantly ignored the pomp and circumstance that is the opening ceremonies.  I was glad to not be a part of those talking about (and witnessing) the Georgian who died in the practice run.

I even stopped listening to my favorite sports shows.

I was that serious people.

But then came Tuesday night, the epic black hole of television viewing.  There was nothing else on, and I was flipping through the channels.

I paused for a second NBC.  Bob Costas was on, so I paused a little longer.  Maybe they would have a segment with Dan Patrick.  Then they started showing whatever sport they were covering. 

And before I could turn the channel, I was drawn in.  For two weeks, it was the highlight of my night.  Maybe it was post-Super Bowl withdraw or that there was absolutely nothing else on television. 

But everything about the Olympics, the history, the stories, the sports had me tuning in.

Of course, the things that bugged me still did.  I watched very little of figure skating.  And, I got sick of the storylines getting shoved down my throat. 

If for nothing else, I'm so happy I didn't miss Shaun White throwing down the Double McTwist 1260.  White excites me the same way Peyton Manning thrills me.  His greatest and dedication elevates the sport.  He makes it look so effortless and turns it into an art. 

Though, he's a bit more naturally entertaining than Manning (even though Manning is deceivingly funny).

So, until we meet again Olympic Games ... I'll try to give you a chance next time around.

No comments: