Sunday, August 1, 2010

Heart in a blender

Disappointed this year.  My colors ... they aren't as brilliant and sparkly.  The squeals.  Well, there aren't any.

So You Think You Can Dance.  Season 8.  EPIC FAIL.  (the season henceforce known as 'Yeah, we can dance, what of it?! (YWCDWOI))

At first, I loved the all stars.  Perhaps they should do just an all star show.  I had so many favorites.  There were so many that could have made the show.

But it wasn't right.  I didn't miss the show when it wasn't on.  I didn't care about every moment.  I *gasp* missed routines.

Part of the tarnish is I think the all stars carried the contestants in a way that they couldn't fail, which resulted in them not pushing themselves.  When contestents dance with someone who excels at their field, and in many instances are teachers themselves, the newbies always maintain the average.  There were no huge missteps, and some times, to borrow from a cliche ... you need to fall to rise again.

Were there too many good contestants?  Very few were not the best in their genre.  I mean, come on, Alex Freakin' Wong.  When the judges say that was perfection (in Week 2!), it gets boring.

Speaking of perfection, maybe there was a memo the audience didn't get.  Judges were way too nice.  The first or second week they were honest, but then they apologized for being harsh.  But, not only is perfection boring, you also don't learn from it.

Because let's face it, even though they maybe more naturally talented or better trained than prior contestants, they aren't as exciting.  There are no highs or lows, it's all mid range.

The choreographers also aren't varied enough.  Or maybe it's not enough of the old favorites.  Every week there's a nappytabs routine.  It doesn't make me hold my breath anymore.  I used to squeal when my fav choregos were on the show.  No Shane.  No Brian.  No Wade.  No Mia. 

I used to get butterflies before the show.  Last week.  I didn't even watch. 

Dancers personalities are great.  Maybe too young, maybe too trained.  But the excitement, passion isn't the same.

Maybe everything just aligned under the wrong star this year.  It just isn't working. 

Injuries.  It's hard to be invested in the competition when the best three dancers are eliminated because of injury.  To leave after that Twitch routine, maybe Alex rose the bar to a level the other dancers couldn't reach and his absence is preventing the others from exceeding expectations.

I'll watch Season 9 --- but in the meantime I'm totally dialed into QuestCrew.com to get the butterflies I used to get.  <3 <3

No comments: