Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Hair today, gone tomorrow

A guy once asked me why women always get their hair cut really short after they got married. The first answer that popped into my mind is they're growing it out for that tradional (and hopefully) glamorous spectacular updo. And for the most part, I think that probably is the case. Kerry got her hair cut after her wedding and another friend is growing it out ... waiting for her guy to pop the question.

But it also occured to me this week that women hack it all off after they're married because they don't need to seek out and impress anyone. Yes, after marriage people still want to look nice, etc. for their mate. But they've already landed them. Just as the guy starts letting his nasty little habits come back into day to day life ... women do the same.

I had long hair all my life--except for that horrible haircut my sister gave me--and the number one reason I wouldn't consider cutting it for the longest time, is because I didn't want to look like a boy. Then as I got older and sick of my long, heavy hair I considered cutting it more seriously. The fear of not being as attractive or as femine kept my hair long.

One former boyfriend made some comment while playing with my hair and I said that chopping it all of was one of my life goals. He looked at me like I grew a second head and said that he certainly hoped I wouldn't do that. Women should have long hair. My thoughts: Well F#ck You Then. (Okay, so I knew it probably wasn't going to work out with him)

Now, with my short hair that's not weighing me down, but is frickin' cold in the winter--I feel happy, as cute as I was with long hair ... and I hope that guys don't look at me and think ugh...if only she had long hair (and yes, I know they probably aren't focusing on my hair first, but this is my current issue of semi-discontent)

Someone mentioned that I should grow my hair long again, find a boyfriend.

Is short hair boy repellent? What about Jenna Elfman? She was hot--and tall, okay that's probably a bad example. Oh well, I'm keeping my short hair until I get sick of it.

Burning cherry tree
Ev'ry blossom is aflame
Uh, here come the cops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your short hair is sexy and cute. It's completely you, and if boys don't like it, phooey on them.