Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Mix of Obligation, Stupidity and Disregard for Others

So here I am again.

As I grow older, I seem to have mixed reactions about the holidays. I love doing the gift-giving and getting together with loved ones. It's the general large gathers of family that I'm not enjoying anymore. We don't go because we can't wait to see people. We go because we have to. And I'm getting sick of that.

I was able to get out of going to Christmas Eve this year. Each year we would go to church and then to Grandma & Grandpa O's for presents and food. Well after I turned 18 the presents dried up--okay that sounds really bad and it's not like I ever got anything good anyway. Last year there wasn't enough chairs so my mom and I stood half the night. Then we got to sit between the fridge and dishwasher. No one said anything to us. Then as we were leaving grandma asked me "do you really liked your hair like that?" No how is work? Congratulations on graduating college, what are your plans for life? Nothing. For whatever reason I've always been lower class in that family.

Now since we've been gathering at the Lions Shelter, Christmas with the K's isn't that fun either. It's always freezing there, too loud, too many kids running around (literally running from one end of the building to the other) and families mostly stay within their own little pack without interacting.

Families are where you feel you belong. I don't feel like that with either group. In fact, I dread the afternoon of Christmas, and can't wait to get home. I love the Kilty side, but would rather it be in a different place or visiting each family separately.

Sorry that's so blue, but sometimes it feels good to expel the truth.

We went shopping today, and the baltent disregard people have for others is just unbelievable. My mom parked in a part of the parking lot that wasn't even a space--I'm just running in quickly, we do it all the time, she said. No freaking way.

Then, in a shopping aisle where there's hardly room for one cart about three idiots have their carts. This was the clearance Christmas stuff so there were about eight people in each aisle plus three carts and no place to move. I mean, seriously people.

I ducked and slithered and glared a few times. I did not elbow anyone and I even said excuse me a few times. But some people are a mix of stupid and inconsiderate. And should be smacked.

No comments: