Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I only want to be part of your breakdown

30 Day Music Challenge - Day 3: A Song that Makes you Happy.

This is not easy at all!  What a task to think through the thousands of songs I enjoy to choose one worthy enough to place here.

When Your Heart Stops Beating - When Your Heart Stops Beating - +44, 2006




I discovered +44 through Yahoo! Music by chance.  A very poor quality video played as I listened to the song.  I noticed the bassist stance was familiar, but the drummer's style was unmistakable. 

On to Google and Wiki I went. +44 was formed by Travis Barker and Mark Hoppus of Blink182 in 2005 after the split up.  What?! I missed that memo (and people, this was a full year or longer later--where was I? I felt unworthy to call them one of my favorite bands).  I was sad to know there wouldn't be any more Blink music, the last release was so different than what they had done in the past.

As my shocked faded my new love for +44 grew.

I think I bought the album that day or very soon after.  I listened to it at least 8 months straight in my car.  This is unusual for me as I change CDs at least twice in any trip over 15 minutes (if I'm not listening to sports talk radio), and at this time my total daily commute was around 40 minutes long.

So why this song?  I love the melodic repetition.  The hard beat. I love how the lyrics punch through the air.  The video is average--and compared to Blink videos, a disappointment.  But you gotta give Travis credit ... he broke his wrist in the filming and just kept drumming.  

Every time I hear this song, I cannot help but be energized or tap my foot.  It brightens my day without fail.

As much as I was disappointed Blink was gone, I was even more devastated when they reformed.  I want to know what's next in the +44 chapter.

Day 4: A Song that Makes You Sad  ... I have a list of eight, now I just need to narrow it down.

No comments: