Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's made me all who I am inside

Day 12: A Song from A Band You Hate

Other than favorite song, this may have been the easiest to choose.

I hate Angels & Airwaves (AvA) because it's the band Tom DeLonge formed after he disbanded from Blink-182 (bitter much? yeah I know). He had a bit of a mental breakdown (my opinion) and thought he was changing the face of music with his miniseries-movies-trilogy-event.

AvA's music was heavily played on my punk Pandora station. And there was plenty to play, they released three albums between 2006-2009.  Most of the songs  borrow the sound, rhythm and riffs of Blink.  They aren't just similar--I swear "Everything's Magic" is the same song slightly reworked as "Anthem Pt. 2" from Blink's Take off your Pants and Jacket.

So Tom, if you're creating this epic new experience than why are you recycling old tunes?

But that's not my favorite AvA song ...

Rite of Spring - I-Empire - Angels & Airwaves, 2007


I like this song even though it's in Tom's monotone, droning voice.  Every time I listen to it I have to grit my teeth at the few friends still last lyrics.

But, it's honest and emotional ... and the story not only of Tom's life, but of growing up and living with how the choices we make shape our world.

Day 13: My Guilty Pleasure 

No comments: