Tuesday, April 26, 2011

There's something cold and blank behind her smile

Day 14: A Song No One Would Expect You to Love

I'm not sure I should assume what people would expect of me ...

But, the most off genre artists that I choose to listen to would have to be Marilyn Manson.  I've always been slightly fascinated by him--but can only listen to his music in small doses.

I think Manson is brilliant in the way Tom DeLonge wants to be brilliant.  He has captured what it is to be an icon, to create a brand, persona or caricature that is instantly recognizable and revokes a reaction.  He's no different from the Lady Gagas, Katy Perrys, etc, etc. in mainstream culture.

I love watching his videos and really appreciate the art he makes with different uses of symbolism, commentary on society and pushing the envelope .... even if it's just to push the envelope. (Oh, and Grey's fans, Lexie is in his Tainted Love video)

Coma White - Mechanical Animals - Marilyn Manson, 1999


Shortly after I first watched this video, there was a special marking the anniversary of JFK's assisnation. It gives me goosebumps just for that.

Day 15: A Song that Describes You

No comments: